Senior Design Engineer
The job holder is responsible for the engineering design of new and modified tools, products and equipment, from the customer need/concept development stage through to a fully developed commercial product. The Design Engineer will also provide operational day to day support.
The job holder is expected to work accurately and within planned timescale working to specific deadlines on a wide variety of equipment from the product line offerings, including pressure control, skid based hydraulic control units, downhole tools and ancillaries as directed. The role requires the job holder to work accurately under pressure and with minimum of supervision.
The Job holder must strive to meet department objectives and on time delivery which may place demands on time, resulting in occasional additional hours being required. Attention to detail and a systematic approach to design data/information control is required. The role of Design Engineer is primarily office based but foreign travel may be required to support client specific projects, so an element of flexibility is required.
There are three levels of Design Engineer within the department (Trainee Design Engineer, Design Engineer, and Senior Design Engineer); the broad expectation is that the Design Engineer can work with minimal input from more senior members of the team while assisting and mentoring more junior members.
- Undertaking a wide variety of engineering design from updating existing designs to working on new designs in line with business needs; SDE takes lead technical role as appropriate to ensure delivery of quality product.
- Designing to requirements, standards and specifications as defined ensuring appropriate cost and quality of product; identifying when/where existing standards don’t exist and driving development of said standards.
- Lead structured design reviews to ensure the expertise of other personnel is considered and implemented in designs.
- Inputting to specifications as required, and ensuring a full specification is available and understood prior to commencing work.
- Producing the relevant supporting documentation to ensure verification of design.
- Design models and drawings
- Assisting with regulatory submission and Certification Files
- Test Plans, Procedures and Reports
- Operations and Maintenance Manuals
- Other technical documentation as required.
- Assisting with technical support, check/approve the work of other Design Engineers or Design Draughters, as appropriate.
- Overseeing hands-on work during assembly and testing of prototype or new designs.
- Supervision/mentoring of Draughters/(Trainee) Design Engineers on specific tasks and track their project tasks on larger projects (where appropriate).
- Supporting of Field Testing.
- Staying abreast of developments in new technology and techniques with respect to the product lines and the broader industry.
- Support and promote continuous improvement in Engineering processes and standards.
- Provide cover and support to the department as and when needed.
- Degree in Engineering (preferably Mechanical), supported by demonstrable and significant experience.
- Product knowledge of oilfield surface and/or downhole equipment.
- Experience in designing oilfield products e.g. hydraulic control units, pressure control equipment, wireline/slickline tools, structural frames, through tubing tools or portable hydraulic power skids.
- Proficient in using 2D or 3D CAD software, ideally Autodesk Inventor.
- Able to perform calculations/analysis pertaining to the product design using appropriate software e.g. MathCAD, MS Excel, Ansys, etc.
- Knowledge of material selection including metals, plastics and elastomers for oilfield use.
- Full UK Driving Licence.
DOE + additional benefits
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.